Jun 4, 2010

Everyone Is Beautiful by Katherine Center

4.5 stars • 237 pages • Done Feb 19, 2010 
Published by Ballantine Books • January 1st 2009
Adult Fiction • Realistic • Chick Lit
What I needed so desperately, and did not have in my life, was something I could point out to and say, 'I did that'.  Something that was a direct reflection of me. 
Everyone Is Beautiful, p. 60

First few pages and I was smitten!  It doesn't feel like I was reading a book, it felt like I was reading my journal.  I simply love it!

It was quirky and funny - all the pent-up emotions of being a mom, a wife, a daughter was all there - putting altogether the side of the mom-self that can simply be frustrating when you live through it and know it was no joke trying to juggle everything like it was ever easy to do - and expected of you.


Reading this book made me look at the funny things of myself.  This book made me more forgiving to myself, to assimilate rather than carve a 'life' within the life I own and lead.

I can never get back to the pre-mom self I am coveting.  True.  Nor can I make a 'life' out of the life I have.  But I can make the most out of every 'solemn' hour, a treat for a job well done.  And even if I can't get back to using my favorite 26-inch jeans, at least I can try.  

I  may not be able to take a bath everyday than I used to for trying to tend to kids and organizing a home, and my belly may seem to grow on its own - but hey - my husband still thinks I'm sexy - that I'm still as beautiful.  Of course, he doesn't wear thick-rimmed glasses.

I believe Katherine Center captured the essence of what we all moms are going through.  She pointed the facts.  How great we can be in spite of - and that we can find the beauty (in funny ways) of living our mom lives if we look hard enough.

No comments: