Oct 24, 2013

Chantress (Chantress Trilogy #1) by Amy Butler Greenfield

336 pages
Published May 7th 2013
Finished reading on October 24, 2013
Rating: A+
Genre: Young Adult | Witches

Overview -

Lucy, shipwrecked on an island at 8, is forbidden to sing by guardian Norrie. On All Hallows Eve 1667, at 15, she sings, and is swept into darkness. She wakes to hear powerful men hunt Chantresses who sing magic into the world. At the Invisible College she finds sanctuary, plots to overthrow the evil Lord Protector, and distrustful scientist-apprentice Nat. Only a Chantress can overcome the Protector, and Lucy is the last in England.


My Thoughts

The cover was what prompt me to read this book and I have truly enjoyed reading this through (in one day).  Needless to say, I find the book to my liking with the Shadowgrimms being similar to dementors of Harry Potter/raven mockers of House of Night. But the similar premise stopped there as this is the first time I have encountered a Chantress instead of a powerful witch.  I found the scenes in the book engaging as it was progressing although the climax was too short for me to relish.  At least, this book is not another paranormal love story per se, but a story of the chantress itself. I wonder how long she has to wait to rehabilitate herself and I cannot wait to read the second installment.  Right now, I have to contend with the fact that this IS a TRILOGY. And that alone makes me sing.

No comments: