Published September 4th 2012
Genre: Non-Fiction | Education, Parenting, Psychology
Overview -
Why do some children succeed while others fail?
The story we usually tell about childhood and success is the one about intelligence: Success comes to those who score highest on tests, from preschool admissions to SATs.
But in "How Children Succeed," Paul Tough argues for a very different understanding of what makes a successful child. Drawing on groundbreaking research in neuroscience, economics, and psychology, Tough shows that the qualities that matter most have less to do with IQ and more to do with character: skills like grit, curiosity, conscientiousness, and optimism.
"How Children Succeed" introduces us to a new generation of scientists and educators who are radically changing our understanding of how children develop character, how they learn to think, and how they overcome adversity. It tells the personal stories of young people struggling to stay on the right side of the line between success and failure. And it argues for a new way of thinking about how best to steer an individual child – or a whole generation of children – toward a successful future.
This provocative and profoundly hopeful book will not only inspire and engage readers; it will also change our understanding of childhood itself.
My Thoughts and Read-A-Long
When you have a good book in your hands, it is so hard to rush through the read without stopping to note the beautiful words that you can keep. So as I read along this book, I'm sharing with you the words that made me digest this book a little bit slowly. (Note: I am so inspired with Brainpickings on this style of citing quotes.)
What made me compelled to digest this book bit by bit is because of the fact that I am a mom, and that I belong to the generation where cognitive hypothesis seems to be the trend in raising children. When somebody I know has a child who made an achievement or can read/memorize/do math even before he steps to Pre-K, made me think of my capabilities when it comes to raising my kids. But then again, I look back to how I was raised, and I was not even compelled to do anything but play, play until I scrape my knees or get my clothes dirty. I learned what I need to learn in school. I finished my tertiary and graduate studies and I am sensible enough without being too much into anything extreme, I had my struggles and family problems and I have seen a lot with my peers, trials of their own whether financially, emotionally, physically and intellectually which did not deter them from moving on and forward to whatever goals they have. They got to where they wanted to go and some of them were even successful.
It is too early for me to draw conclusions (first few pages of the book) but I can tell you now, if you are a parent, this is a very interesting read. It is too early to say it's good, but definitely worth contemplating about.
It is too early for me to draw conclusions (first few pages of the book) but I can tell you now, if you are a parent, this is a very interesting read. It is too early to say it's good, but definitely worth contemplating about.

3 comments:
I'd be interested in your thoughts about this book when you've finished it! I started reading it on audiobook a couple of weeks ago too, but I stopped because it wasn't what I was looking for. I was specifically looking for information on kids education and I couldn't flip through an audiobook the way I would with a physical book, so I put it aside for the moment. I'd love to know what you think of it when you're done!
I will definitely give you a shout when I finish this one. And I was kind of slow with the book because there were too many things that's there that makes me stop and think....
For the record, audiobooks make me sleep so it's a no-no for me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Audiobooks are very iffy because it totally depends on the reader's voice. I've had some that I just couldn't listen to because the reader's voice was so annoying, some were boring too. But some of the great readers can really make the whole audiobook experience really fun!
Post a Comment