Shadow and Bone by Leigh BardugoMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I expected this book to be good, but I didn’t anticipate that I wouldn’t be able to put it down! It was truly captivating, with two standout scenes: the first when Alina first displayed her power, and the second when she and Mal were trekking to escape the Darkling while tracking down Morozova’s herd. Initially, I found myself leaning towards the Darkling as Alina’s potential partner (it reminded me a bit of Death from The Arcana Chronicles). However, as the Darkling’s intentions became clearer later in the book, I shifted back to rooting for Mal, despite the minimal romance between them.
After finishing, I came across some reviews harshly criticizing the language, the names, and other minor details. But honestly, this is fantasy! Authors have the creative freedom to craft their worlds however they like. While some may nitpick the technicalities, my main gripe was with Alina’s limited abilities (seriously, is that all she can do?) and the almost non-existent romance, which felt hastily thrown in at the end. That said, I still commend the book for its sheer imagination - it truly delivered in that department.
Will I continue with the series? Absolutely. I’m eager to see Alina come into her own, the Darkling brought down a peg, and Mal involved in a genuine love story - not just a lingering attachment.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment